Mary Jane Miller

Being an artist myself, it is rare for me to see artwork that I want to own. I usually find myself saying...I could do that! I don't have artwork on my walls because I like looking at clean and empty space. The walls of my house are a blank canvas. However, when I saw Mary Jane Miller's Icons, I wanted one (and I remind her all the time). We met at her gallery years ago and over the years have become friends. In fact, I took one of her classes about a year and a half ago and it changed me, on the inside. Icons are truly a window into another dimension, a heavenly dimension. When I look at Mary Jane's work I am transported; I am filled with peace.

I asked Mary Jane about her unusual pieces and believe me when I say she is very creative and marches to her own drum. Occasionally, she will paint a Buddha Icon and I have seen a series of paintings of the "Last Supper", but with very different (from the traditional) settings like in a Middle Eastern silk tent with men sitting on carpets and wearing turbans.

I wanted to include Mary Jane in my blog because I believe artwork can heal the soul, and her work does!

1. Mary Jane, how were you first introduced to painting Icons?

Twelve years ago I took a workshop as a kindness to a friend that organized a workshop and didn't have enough people to pay the instructor. The instructor was an benedictine priest/orthodox iconographer want-a-be. He taught the icon workshop with acrylics. The painting was of no consequence to me but his 15 minute lecture/slide show every morning for 5 days introduced and allowed me to fall in love with the imagery and history of icon painting as a language.

2. How long have you been painting Icons? 12 years.

3. Can you talk a little about the spiritual aspects involved in painting an Icon?


The use of egg tempera is a spiritual experience by its very nature. Egg yolk, the raw potential for life and million year old dirt combine to create divine image. As basic and simple as it is, over time one begins to see the simplicity of Christ's message. We humans are made of spirit (symbolic egg yolk) and flesh (symbolic dirt) we are all images or living icons of Christ.

4. How does it make you feel knowing you have successfully merged your career and your spirituality? It's challenging and humbling.

5. Can you talk a little about what makes your Icons so unique?

Are they? I try to find myself and the spirit of god as I paint. The final image always falls slightly short. Short enough to want to try painting another icon, and so it goes week after week.

6. What do you hope people take away from viewing your Icons?

If they have one thought about the mystery of why are we here, I would consider the finished work a gift and a good reason for me to keep working.

7. What projects are you currently working on?


I have just published on LULU.com, a how to paint an icon by hand book, "Icon Painting Revealed",

and a small collection of icons "The Mary Collection", meditations on the virgin. I am currently painting and working on the 7 sacraments series presented as a narrative. They are 24'x36" and taking way too long.

Mary Jane Miller's work can be seen on her website: www.sanmiguelicons.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Relaxation Music

Panic Away VS. The Linden Method

Dr. Albert Ellis on Five Unrealistic Desires or Beliefs