My Mission

Since this is the first post, I will try to tackle several topics at once. First, I would like to address the reason for starting this blog. I should probably mention at this point that I have had anxiety attacks most of my life…and not known what they were. I was afraid to fly (ask me some time to tell you about the hypnosis session to resolve my fear of flying!). I was afraid to go to the doctor/dentist. Somehow I managed to fly and go to the doctor, but always with great fear. Some time last spring, I started having them again. The difference this time was that they weren’t just site specific but started happening everywhere, even at home. It was debilitating to say the least. It eventually turned into general anxiety. I would feel anxious from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. I felt like I was going crazy.


I sought help from a couple of psychiatrists and even tried medications, but nothing seemed to help. It was a very bleak time. In fact, the whole time I was trying to get help, I intuitively knew that seeing doctors wasn’t going to help me because I didn’t want to talk about what happened to me when I was a year old or when I was potty trained or my step-fathers and whether or not we got along. Dredging up the past just seemed to be opening up old wounds that really should be left alone. My problems might have started when I was a child but I am now an adult and need help now! I just knew that I was looking for help in the wrong places.


This brings me to the second point that I want to talk about and that is why I want to focus on the spiritual solutions to anxiety. I can’t tell you how much money I have spent over the years on doctors, medications, music/CDs/MP3s/self-hypnosis tapes, and books, in the hopes of getting some relief. It is obscene. However, if you are in pain, you will do just about anything to get relief. I realized through this very dark period in my life that my life was off track and that I wouldn’t be happy until I made some big changes. I wanted my life to make a difference. I needed to help other people suffering like I was. I made a vow that if I ever got better, I would dedicate my life to helping other people with anxiety. The things that have helped me the most of all had a spiritual element involved and that is where my blog will differ from almost all of the others out there.


Now back to the first point. I wanted to create this blog because in my search for help, I had a very difficult time finding information from anyone not only actively searching for solutions but actually succeeding. Oh sure, there are tons of websites trying to sell stuff and make money but I wanted real help. I realized that if I couldn’t find what I needed then there may be others out there also searching for the same things. In this blog, I am going to talk about my search for help. I am going to review CDs and music and books and websites and teachers (you get the point) all in some way dealing with fear. I am hoping that other people with share information as well. Here is to a brighter day filled with peace and serenity!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Relaxation Music

Panic Away VS. The Linden Method

Dr. Albert Ellis on Five Unrealistic Desires or Beliefs