Hypnosis Recordings

I have been collecting hypnosis recordings for a while now. For someone that is anxious, simple meditation can be very difficult because thoughts are already out of control and sitting still is just asking for trouble. I have found that guided meditations or hypnosis can be very helpful at replacing the negative self-talk and allow me to relax. Some of them are great and some are just Okay and some can be horrible. In this entry, I will review some recordings by Dr. Emmitt Miller, Doreen Blumenfeld, Belleruth Naparstek, and Kimberly Miles.

It is vitally important that a hypnosis recording satisfy several specific requirements in order to be effective. I have found that if a hypnotherapist has an irritating voice, I won't get anything out of it. I have also found that if they use ridiculous analogies or ask you to visualize something that goes against your personal beliefs (I personally find overt Christian imagery outdated and offensive). So, after purchasing many hypnosis programs, the first four hypnotherapists that I want to review are below:

Dr. Emmitt Miller (http://www.drmiller.com/), has an amazingly soothing voice. It is perfect for hypnosis recordings. I also very much like his imagery, his affirmations, and his messages. My only complaint is that the exercises are short. I personally would have liked to see either two tracks that were at least 30 minutes long or longer with several techniques added together. I mean, who wants to sit down for 13 minutes to meditate? I am barely relaxed in 13 minutes. I have the recording "Abolish Anxiety", and think it is brilliant (except for the length of the tracks). Who knows, maybe you will like the shorter length tracks?

Doreen Blumenfeld (http://www.hearthill.com/index.htm), is the perfect hypnotherapist in my humble opinion. Her recordings on Amazon.com are extremely affordable. And, she has an amazingly relaxing voice which I find very soothing. I also really like her guided imagery and the meditation itself. I have two of her meditations, "Journey Into Deep Relaxation", and "Journey Into Healing Light". I prefer the "Healing Light" but that is just personal taste. Check her out, I don't think you will be disappointed! The meditations for me were the perfect length of about 40 or 45 minutes. These are my favorites and I give them my seal of approval!!!

Next on my list is Belleruth Naparsteck (http://www.healthjourneys.com/index.asp). I discovered Belleruth on the Conscious Media Network (link above left). Well, this hypnotherapist I had problems with. I don't care for her voice. I found it annoying to the point of distraction. One night I tried going to sleep with her meditation playing and every time she said a word with an "S" in it, I was jarred awake! I also thought her tracks were too short. There was a guided imagery followed by affirmations and I found listening to both in one meditation session to be weird. Like I said before, I don't want to meditate for just a few minutes, so I listened to a few tracks to get the length of time I wanted. Her imagery was Okay, but when she starts the meditation and lists all the places you can choose for yourself as a "safe place", she went overboard listing about 30 different possibilities! My advice is to stay away from these recordings. Unfortunately, I bought several of the recordings which you can easily (maybe too easily) download from her website.

Last on my list is Kimberly Miles (http://www.kimberlymiles.com/index.htm). I really liked the price of this guided meditation on Amazon.com. I also found her voice to be very soothing. My only problem is that she wants you to visualize using a computer in the meditation. What she asks you to do is very technical and I am not sure it lends itself to a hypnosis or meditation session. You know, delete this file and search for this file and then do this and finally do that to this file. Maybe it's because I have been having trouble with my computer lately that I found the whole thing very stressful and weird. I am sure that it was a good idea to use a computer because it is easy to delete files but I think if she would have tried a little harder, she might have been able to come up with a better solution to what she was trying to accomplish. I have the CD, "The Art of Letting Go". I don't want to sound like I am totally dissing this CD because it is valuable but just not my favorite.

I have several other hypnosis CD's but will save them for another time.

Comments

Hi Kelley,
I'm so glad I found your blog. I am a Hypnotherpist and I've been recording short (usually 20 minutes in length) hypnosis meditations for busy professionals. It's all geared toward stress and anxiety relief. My website is www.hypno-freedom.com. I'm taking your advice and I will add some longer, 45 minute recordings to my list! Thank you for your insights!
Kim Markison, www.Hypno-Freedom.com
kim@hypno-freedom.com
Kelley said…
Kim, I am signing up for your newsletter and I bought one of your meditations to check it out! Thanks!
Hi Kelly,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! My hypnosis is my life's work and I love sharing it with others. May I post your review of my CDs on my website? I've also created a process called Clear Presence - a mindfulness based health support program that involves a daily 7 minute call with a partner for support and being present with yourself. The Clear Presence process tends to disolve unconscious patterns that don't serve our health by bringing them into greater awareness. Many thanks for your wonderful site.
Doreen Blumenfeld
email: relax@hearthill.com www.hearthill.com
& www.clearpresence.com
Hi, Kelley! I am a friend of Victoria (Tustin) Negrete's, and she showed me your website today. I then found this site. I love hypnotherapy and am thrilled to have your list of hypnotherapy CD's. I go to Margaret Nash here in Los Frailes - she is wonderful! My life has totally changed for the better and I'm a convert. :) Hope to meet you one of these days!

Best,

Kimberly

Popular posts from this blog

Best Relaxation Music

Panic Away VS. The Linden Method

Dr. Albert Ellis on Five Unrealistic Desires or Beliefs